Close
Login to Your Account
Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Its adding contacts I don't know

This is a discussion on Its adding contacts I don't know within the Galaxy S5 General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy S5 Forum category; I am now getting messages stating "so and so added from phone contacts". I don't know these people. They are not on my contact list ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barb F

Thread: Its adding contacts I don't know

Member #

Exclamation Its adding contacts I don't know

I am now getting messages stating "so and so added from phone contacts". I don't know these people. They are not on my contact list anywhere and once I close the window, I can't find it again until it adds another stranger. How do I delete them when the list pops up again and how do I stop it from adding more? I am really worried that I am getting hackers in my phone somehow and don't know it.
    Thanks!

Member #
    Can't tell from you post:
    Who is your provider?
    Which contact list do you use?

I have Verizon and use GMail as my contact source.
    Verizon and GMail sometimes conflict. Especially after one or the other updates.
    I have my contacts set to only show contacts with phone numbers, thus GMail contacts with only emails do not show up.

GMail will add contacts cc'd in emails that you receive from frends to your GMail Email Contacts, unless you opt out. You may not know them, but generally they wont have phone numbers and shouldn't show up in your phone if you have it set to only show those with phone numbers.

Not your issue, but both GMail and Verizon will add back contacts I've previously deleted, randomly, irritating to me. Grin

Member #
    My provider is Verizon. I do have a GMail account which I had to set up to access something years ago. I have never used it. How do I change my setting to not add anyone automatically? The phone didn't come with a manual and I only want to access my phone contacts and my FB messenger contacts. Thanks!

Member #
    If you're not using your GMail account, I wouldn't think your GMail account is the problem.
    You might open your GMail account and check your contacts to see if it has a bunch you don't know.
    Then delete if so. You might be getting junk email there, only a guess though.

My add problem was with GMail and then Verizon over writing it.
    I manage my contacts in GMail, birthdays, personal stuff, addresses, where I met them, etc.
    The conflicts are worse when Verizon does an update without my permission and they do.

I just checked my phone contacts, then the pull down upper right (three dots), then settings, then contacts, then contacts to display.
    FB Messenger is there and was not before. I have all selected so I get the Phone and GMail contacts.
    I don't think any FB Messenger contact of mine have phone numbers.
    You could just check phone there.

You might have to go to a Verizon store or call them if you are getting contacts from some other source.
    I don't think its a setting. I think the Verizon side only adds to your phone if you add it.

Member #
    I found the names in gmail today so I think what is happening is the phone came with a free 7 day name feature for my phone and it is putting the names of people who contacted my gmail account in as contacts for name purposes. If that is it, the name feature is due to expire unless I opt to pay for it, which I won't. Hopefully that is all it is and it will stop. As long as no one is hacking my phone, I am satisfied. Thank you.
    JDRacerDad likes this.

Member #
    Sounds like you have an answer.
    Great to hear.

Remove Ads

Sponsors