Close
Login to Your Account
Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum - Powered by vBulletin

brightness / display problem

This is a discussion on brightness / display problem within the Galaxy S5 Help forums, part of the Galaxy S5 Support Forum category; A display problem has occured recently. When the brightness of the screen is set to minimum/very low, one side of the screen appears a little ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CR6

Thread: brightness / display problem

Member #

brightness / display problem

A display problem has occured recently. When the brightness of the screen is set to minimum/very low, one side of the screen appears a little brighter and flickers, starting from the same side as the home button, it seems to get darker 1 bar at a time, until the display is consistently the minimum brightness. (without being able to post a screenshot i cant explain better)

problem more noticeable when the phone is idle for a while and automatically goes dim

I have tried starting in safe mode (however whats app was running and i thought no apps run in safe mode but the disable safe mode button was there to so idk) anyway the display problem was still present.

android version 5.0

Member #
    Sounds more like a hardware issue. Does it show up in the screen shot also?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.
    ~Fred Bear~

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6386 View Post
    Sounds more like a hardware issue. Does it show up in the screen shot also?

I tried taking several screenshots in various brightness settings. (note, this definitely shows up more after my mobile phone goes idle and the display automatically goes dim)
    For some reason the problem doesn't show up on the screenshot ?!

What does this mean? the screen is perfectly fine, but the issue is the backlight ?
    Is the problem a normal function that can be altered by some setting in android??

As I can't demonstrate the problem by screenshot, I am going to take a photo of it with another phone, I don't know exactly how screenshot works, but I am guessing that anything wrong with the screen probably won't show up anyway. I'm guessing the screenshot is taken straight from the source, not from the actual screen (if you get what I mean )

But now what can I do about this?? having some technical experience, I was all set to buy the replacement tool kit. But if it is the backlight, is that part of the screen or a completely seperate component?

Member #
    There are a few things it can be. If it doesn't do it at brighter screen settings I have to believe it's not the screen. Unfortunately I'm not an expert on the hardware side of the device. It may be worth a call or stopping by a Samsung service center.

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.
    ~Fred Bear~

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6386 View Post
    There are a few things it can be. If it doesn't do it at brighter screen settings I have to believe it's not the screen. Unfortunately I'm not an expert on the hardware side of the device. It may be worth a call or stopping by a Samsung service center.

't
    Samsung have just said to take it to the service centre, they aren't sa.ying what is probably the cause. I would like to know if replacing the screen will also mean replacing the backlight, as i t hink the problem has to do with the backlight being dimmer in one part than another. uhmmm, replacing the screen looks cheap and my own experience with building and repairing pcs and laptops together with viewing some tutorials of how to do it i am very confident I can do this myself. It certainly looks easier than the htc one, which has screws and requires going in through the back and taking everything else apart to access the screen.
    Looks like the actual creen will cost about £10, although I am not sure if this contains the digitizer and touch interface aswell as the glass and whether the backlight is a separate component too ????
    If samsung expect around 100 they can forget it..

Member #
    I had the same problem, seems the auto brightness function causes the problem. Try adjusting it manually & see if it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Member #
    Unless you're replacing both the screen and digitizer together as one piece, don't expect this to be an easy job. And it's going to cost more than 100 bucks just for parts. My suggestion would be to have a cell phone repair facility do the repair if you're only doing the screen. Now a screen AND digitizer as one piece, MUCH easier and I'd say go for it. That being said, there are plenty of YouTube "how to" videos to walk you through the process with regards to doing both. As long as you take your time and have plenty of patience you'll be fine. Good luck & let us know how you make out!

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Get the iFixit app, search for Samsung Galaxy S5, then screen replacement, it will walk you through the entire process

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    An Efin production

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fargarson View Post
    I had the same problem, seems the auto brightness function causes the problem. Try adjusting it manually & see if it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Did anyone ever figure this out? Itís happening to my gfs phone and Iím wondering whether or not itís a hardware issue. If itís software, which Iíve seen several people online ďjust updated their phone and now this is happeningĒ so if thatís true could I just flash cyanogenmod on it and it should work. If itís hardware then I guess replacing the screen will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Sponsors